St Matthew's Secret

Visitors Comments




Welcome to Coldridge ....

Coldridge was known as Coleridge even up to the early 1900's, it is a small parish situated on the River Taw, 10 miles from the ancient market town of Crediton. Coldridge was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, as Colrige - it would appear that Coldridges existence as a settlement, dates back to at least Norman times and possibly even earlier. Its name is believed to have derived from the "ridge where charcoal is made" and the fact that it is thought the area was once woodland, this is possibly an accurate description of how the parish got its name.

With no main road going through the village it gives that feeling of times standing still with a quiet relaxing and peaceful atmosphere.

If you would like to get a feel of Coldridge from the 1400's then take a look at Max Slee's page on the Slee Family
A Coldridge class picture taken in 1897
Mrs Catherine Luxton (teacher) on the right with her daughter Charlotte on her lap , the other faces are unknown.
Picture sent in by Richard Nash of Canada, great grandson of Catherine Luxton

Coldridge just over 100 year ago

In 1891 the village of Coldridge was very different to it is today.
Firstly it was then called Coleridge the population was 395
The Earl of Portsmouth was then lord of the manor and principal landowner, and impropriator of the rectorial tithe.
A School Board of 5 members was formed Aug. 23, 1872;
J. Hannaford of Chulmleigh, was clerk to the board.
Board School (mixed), built in 1874, for 95 children; average attendance, 55;
Mrs. Catherine Luxton, was mistress.

Coldridge was a working village in those days below is a list of villagers, their trades and where they lived taken from Kelly (1893) Post Office Directory of Devonshire.

WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 6 p.m. Letters through Wembworthy
R.S.O arrive at 8.10 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Wembworthy & telegraph office at Lapford station.
Name Trade Abode
BLACKMORE, Joseph Millwright  
BORN, Arthur Saddler  
BORN, Thomas Basket Maker  
BRAILEY Miss    
BROOKS, Eliza (Mrs.) Shopkeeper  
COCKERHAM, John Thatcher & Sexton  
COCKERHAM, Robert Shoe Maker  
DENSHAM, Richard Farmer Birch
ELSTON, Richard Farmer Oak
FISHER, John Farmer Lower Chilverton
FISHER, William Farmer Leigh Barton
HARRIS, William Yeoman Coldridge Barton
HEYWOOD, John Rouncely Shoe Maker  
HOOPER, William Farmer Chilverton
HOOPER, William Dart Farmer Park Farm
ISSAC, William Saddler  
KEENOR, John Mason  
KELLAND, Robert Farmer Frost
LEACH, Uriah Carpenter  
LUXTON, George Farmer & Landowner Tawbridge
LUXTON, Henry Farmer Southmoor
LUXTON, Catherine (Mrs) School Mistress.  
MOON, John Frank Farmer Gilscott
NEWCOMBE, William Wheelwright  
NORTHAM, William Farmer Skinnersland
OLDING, George Grocer & Farmer  
PARTRIDGE, Frances (Mrs) Farmer and Miller (water) Park Mill
PEAKE Chas. Edwd. A.M.I.C.E.,   Gilscot
SHARAM, John Tailor  
SANDERS, John Landlord & Blacksmith Stag's Head Public House
STAPLETON, Richard Marine Store Dealer  
STONE, Mary (Mrs) Farmer Hankridge
STONEMAN, Richard Road Contractor  
WOODMAN, William Farmer Frog Berry



If you are viewing this site through someone else's browser then refresh here:-
Site Address:-